Mounds of grey-green foliage, small cheery sunflowers, and drought resistance make the Oregon Sunshine a favorite for sunny rock gardens, border edges, and parking strips. It’s also a versatile pollinator plant, attracting native sweat bees, mining bees, mason bees, hover flies, tachinid flies, and butterflies, and is a nectar source for endangered Fender’s blue butterfly as well as host plant for painted lady butterflies.
- Plant type/canopy layer: deciduous perennial herbaceous plant/ground layer
- Size at maturity: 6-24" tall, 2' wide
- Light requirements: Prefers full sun, tolerates part shade
- Moisture requirements: dry to moist, well-drained soil
- Bloom Time: May - June
- Growth rate/ease: fast growth rate, easy to grow
- Wildlife support: Attracts native sweat bees, mining bees, mason bees, hover flies, tachinid flies, and butterflies. Nectar source for endangered Fender’s blue butterfly as well as host plant for painted lady butterflies.
- Native habitat/range: Western North America. Portland Plant List - yes.
- Special features & uses: pollinator gardens, rock gardens, parking strips
- Gardening with Oregon Sunshine: Plant in sunny dry meadowscapes, pollinator gardens, rock gardens, parking strips and other perennial beds to add splashes of bright yellow flowers. Hardy and drought tolerant once established.
Seed Packet Contains: approximately 200 seeds
Direct sowing: fall sowing is recommended as this species usually has a fair amount of seed dormancy. Seeds usually need 45-90 days of cold moist chilling (35-40 degrees) before seeds will germinate in spring.
Growing transplants: Sow seeds in containers and place outside or in a cold frame. Seeds may germinate over a long period of time.
Photo Credit 1: "Eriophyllum lanatum var. integrifolium" by pellaea is licensed under CC BY 2.0
Photo Credit 2: "File:Eriophyllum lanatum kz01.jpg" by Kenraiz is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0
Photo Credit 3: "File:Eriophyllum lanatum closeup-6-08-04.jpg" by ThayneT is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0
Photo Credit 4: Steele Acres Native Seed