Blanketflower is an exceptionally striking wildflower, recognized by its iconic ombre petals with varying shades of yellow to deep orange and brown, which persist from late spring through late summer. Add this beauty to your sunny pollinator garden and enjoy watching pollinators on flowers all summer long and birds collecting the seeds each fall.
- Plant type/canopy layer: deciduous, perennial, herbaceous plant
- Size at maturity: 2' tall, 2’ wide
- Light requirements: full sun, will tolerate light shade
- Moisture requirements: moist to dry well-drained soil
- Growth rate/ease: easy to grow, does not spread vigorously
- Bloom time: May - September
- Wildlife support: this colorful plant is much loved by a diversity of bees including green metallic sweat bees (Agapostemon spp.), bumble bees, and others who are drawn to the brightly colored flowers. (Xerces) Seeds for birds.
- Native range: conifer forests, mixed woodlands, grasslands, hillsides, riverbanks and roadsides across inland PNW to Rockies. Portland Plant List – no.
- Special features & uses: drought tolerant, beneficial insect, pollinator and wildlife favorite
Gardening with Blanketflower: Hardy, easy to grow - an excellent addition for sunny wildflower meadows and pollinator parking strips. Does not spread vigorously and is low-maintenance and drought tolerant once established.